Wednesday 27 January 2016

DIY#THE 5 BEST ADVICE FOR EVERY NEW ASPIRING DESIGNERSS

5 BEST TIPS FOR EVERY ASPIRING DESIGNER

Back in 2009 when I started my journey in designing, it was a road full of challenges. But I’ve always been passionate enough to turn these challenges into successes. This is not to say that I didn’t have stumbling blocks in my career—I failed at times but those moments only made me stronger and far more goal-oriented. I went on to win the Barbie all Doll’d up show at Lakme Fashion Week 2009 and ever since then, there has been no looking back. To see the fashion world appreciate my feminine yet wearable designs, has given me immeasurable joy. Precisely why I’m here to tell you how you, as an aspiring designer, can conquer the fashion game with your designing skills.

Know your style 

My designs are an expression of who I am. I'm inspired but I don't imitate. I do what I do because I love it and give it my all. So it’s very important to know your style and not copy anybody else. Your collections have to look like they’re yours. A lot of people go in for designing because they think it’s a hobby but you have to understand that it’s a very serious profession. You have to feel very passionate about what you do.

Find your mentor 

I was lucky to be able to turn to my mother, Neeta Lulla when I needed advice but you must have someone to inspire you, someone who knows fashion in and out. Also, it’s very necessary that you have a mentor who knows the business side of fashion as well because ultimately you’re selling fashion.

Create wearable pieces 

My first show was such a disaster! I was really young back then and ended up doing a collection that was criticised. I was trying to be someone I’m not. I remember I had just won then Barbie award and after that, I did this utterly cute collection. It was only later that I realised that it’s very necessary to ask yourself if you’d wear the same piece yourself. Ask yourself if people are going to really enjoy wearing your collection. You have to know the USP of your label. I know that I want to do comfortable, versatile clothes that would look beautiful on different personalities.

Get inspired 

When you’re doing something as creative as designing, you have to be inspired all the time. I personally love travelling so most of my inspiration comes from travel. Nature, picturesque locations, everything inspires me to create the kind of clothes I do.


Variety is the key 

When you’re designing, it’s very important to create a variety in a collection—remember that different kinds of people with different tastes in fashion are going to wear your clothes. I like to keep neutrals, pastels as well as colour pops in my collection so I have a good range for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment